Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Homework Due 9/9/09

An organization that has been close to my heart since I was very young is the Cleft Palate Foundation. I was born with a Cleft Lip and Palate and have had to struggle through hard times in my life due to my birth defect. The Cleft Palate Foundation purpose is to provide information to children and adults on these birth defects. The foundation does a great job at giving information out to people in need of help.
One of the biggest problems that I have faced growing up with a Cleft Lip and Palate is not having a support group outside my family and friends that knows how it is to be born with a Cleft Lip and/or Palate. I can look up information online but talking to someone who has felt my pain makes it easier to bear.
A solution that I would like to see be implemented is for organizations like the Cleft Palate Foundation to create support groups for parents and the individuals that have the birth defect. Unlike other problems that children are born with, a Cleft Lip and/or Palate will forever be apart of the parent's and individuals lives. These support groups would allow people to be "at home" and can talk about issues like Doctors, Insurance, and much more.
So simply put the problem today is there are no support groups beyond your young years, and the solution would be for organizations like the Cleft Palate Foundation to create the support groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment